Physical fitness doesn’t mean that you can go and run a marathon tomorrow. Physical fitness means that you are regularly involved in exercise and other active activities and that your body and muscles are strong. There are many reasons why it is important to do exercise regularly and get and keep fit. Today, we look at 5 main reasons.
- Being fit reduces your risk of developing diseases. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and cancer are very prominent in every country in the world. Being active and keeping your body healthy, helps reduce your risk of developing these diseases.
- Exercise helps you lose weight or maintain your weight. Being active can help you lose weight. Most doctors suggest that at least 30 minutes of walking or other exercise per day is necessary. If you want to lose weight, you will need to put in more time and effort.
- Being fit may help you live longer. Being fit makes your body healthier and stronger and reduces the risk of falling, breaking hips or legs, etc. that comes with old age. People who are active and physically fit have a lower risk of dying young.
- Fitness makes you feel better. Exercise is a mood enhancer. If you are active and do exercises regularly, you will find that you are better able to focus, more productive, and that your memory and thinking processes improve. Being active does not only keep your body healthy, it also keeps your mind fit and positive.
- Exercise strengthens the bones and muscles. Regular exercise that includes both aerobic and strength training, will help make your muscles and bones strong. This will also lower the risk of developing osteoporosis and other such diseases.
These are only 5 of the many benefits that being active and doing regular exercise holds. The bottom line is that exercise is not just a way to lose weight. It is also a way to keep your body and your mind active and healthy so you can be happier and live longer.